Manchester City 1 Stoke City 1

FA Cup Fifth Round
Saturday 13 February 2010, 17:15 KO

City: Given, Zabaleta, Touré (c), Lescott, Bridge, de Jong, Barry, Ireland (Vieira 73), Wright-Phillips, Petrov (Santa Cruz 62), Adebayor
Unused: Taylor, Garrido, Sylvinho, Onuoha, Boyata
Goals: Wright-Phillips (11)

Referee: Mark Clattenburg
Man of the Match: Shaun Wright-Phillips

Stoke began the game with the first attack, trying to catch City off guard from kick off, but the home side were awake to the danger and were able to head clear. Bridge then worked his way to the by-line and delivered a low cross towards Wright-Phillips, but Sorensen was there first.

But it didn’t take long for City to get in front. Ireland played a nice ball over the top for Wright-Phillips, who lifted it over the on-rushing Sorensen. It was dropping wide of the goal until Shawcross, lying on the floor, tried to head it back to his defensive partner and didn’t get enough on it, leaving Wright-Phillips with a tap in.

With 24 minutes gone, a low corner from Martin Petrov was just missed by Barry and Stoke were able to clear the danger. Fuller then headed a right-wing free kick well over Given’s bar, as the game struggled to get going.

Bridge was then in the right place to excellently block a Lawrence volley inside the six-yard box, before Petrov whipped a City free kick on the right straight around the far post.

Early in the second half, a series of City corners resulted in Barry hitting an effort wide, before de Jong had to be on hand to mop up and stop the visitors’ breakaway.

Just before the hour, Delap sent one of his trademark long throw ins into the box and the unmarked Ricardo Fuller nodded it straight past Given. It was more questionable defending from the home side, who let the front man in without anybody challenging.

City followed that with another series of corners, each coming to nothing, before the former City man Whelan had an effort straight at Shay Given. With ten minutes to go, Diao gave away a needless corner and Gareth Barry’s header was expertly touched over by Sorensen.

Wright-Phillips then hit the side netting before Santa Cruz was able to chest the ball down and turn in the area. He smashed it across the goal and it was blocked on the line by Shawcross, with Sorensen diving on it before Adebayor could pounce.

Tuncay had the final effort of the game, firing wide on the counter attack as the visitors looked to avoid a replay. They couldn’t and it’ll be another trip to the Britannia Stadium for City, but at least they’re in the sixth round draw.

Add to: Facebook | Digg | | Stumbleupon | Reddit | Twitter | Technorati


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s